Caregiving requires compassion and dedication, and most of all, it means that you have to show up every day with a positive attitude and smile on your face for your clients. The responsibility you have with your work can be exhausting, and we wanted to provide some tips for you to focus on self-care and rejuvenation for YOU!
- Be clear about today’s reality. Don’t imagine things are worse than they are. Enjoy the good parts of today and don’t let worries for tomorrow take over your emotions and thoughts.
- Talk honestly to family and friends. Openly sharing your emotions and the challenges that you face is a great way to decompress and get advice on how to handle challenging situations. Just remember to maintain proper client confidentiality!
- Do three things every evening before you go to bed—laundry, dishes and take out the garbage. The morning will be much more of a gift.
- If you are feeling anxious, try slow breathing- breathe in through the nose for 4 counts, hold for 2, and out through the nose for 4. Try counting five things you see in the environment around you. This will help you to stay grounded and in the present moment.
- Take good care of yourself. Eat good food, exercise a little, even just taking walks. Rest well and learn to say no to outside demands. See your doctor and dentist for checkups. Get away from the house now and then—even if it is just a quick trip to the park near your house or to a favorite spot in nature.
- Andy Mosman, General Manager, Right at Home Eugene