Did you know that Right at Home can help prevent hospital readmissions? It’s true!
Sadly, roughly 15% to 20% of seniors who leave a U.S. hospital are readmitted within 30 days. The good news is that the non-medical home care provided by Right at Home has been shown to significantly reduce the hospital readmission rates for seniors and disabled adults. That’s because nearly everything we do helps to keep seniors safer and healthier in their homes. For example, social workers and discharge planners throughout the country agree that one of the biggest challenges with care transitions is helping patients understand and follow their discharge plans and care instructions once they are back home. Failure to do so can lead to medical complications, readmission to the hospital, and even death. Fortunately, Right at Home’s trained caregivers can help make sure your loved one’s care is consistent with their care plan and discharge instructions.
Another way that Right at Home helps to reduce hospital readmissions is through our Change in Condition protocol, which can help identify detrimental changes in your loved-one’s condition that can be treated by medical professionals, and a revised care plan, before a rehospitalization becomes necessary.
Right at Home helps reduce readmissions in lots of other ways too. For example:
- Seniors sometimes end up being readmitted because they forget to take their medications. Our caregivers provide medication reminders that can help prevent that.
- Our caregivers provide transportation to doctor’s appointments so your loved-one’s doctor can spot, and treat with medication, problems that, if left unaddressed, can lead to a hospital readmission.
- We provide fall-prevention and transfer assistance to reduce the risk that your loved one might have a bad fall.
- Bathing assistance helps keep your loved one hygienic, thereby reducing the chance of infections.
- We provide companionship and safety supervision, nutritious meal preparation, and light housekeeping to keep the home clean and safe, all of which helps to keep your loved one healthy and safe at home.
Bottom line, having a trained Right at Home caregiver can mean the difference between your loved one being readmitted to the hospital or staying healthy and happy at home. For more information about how Right at Home can help your patient or loved one, please call us at 219-682-1977.